Monday, May 4, 2015

Inspiration

"This song is brand new. I only wrote it a few weeks ago, so if I forget the words, bear with me."

It was an artsy, intimate setting over at the Asbury Park Music In Film Festival, and many of the faces - my Tent City friends, a mix of volunteers, advocates, and former residents - were quite familiar. Nevertheless, as I stood in front of the crowd, I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, my adrenaline soaring. That studio may as well have been a stadium.

But as I heard the introduction of my newest musical composition, "I've Got a Story" start to play, I jumped in. My eyes struggled against the bright stage lights as they scanned the outlines of my friends' faces. Indeed, as the song proclaimed, they all had a story. They all had a name. And we were not very different at all. I sang to and about each and every one of them, as well as those who were there only in spirit.

The day was a joyful one, a reunion and a reminder of the paths that crossed along a winding dirt road. I felt proud that my video for another song I'd written, "One Voice," had been accepted as an entry into the festival, and prouder still that I had the opportunity to perform live.

But there was more work to be done.

About two weeks after the Asbury Park Music in Film Festival, the tremendous degree of inspiration I'd received along that dirt road came to fruition. The album I'd been working on - composing, producing, mixing, remixing - for the past year was finally complete and sent to the distributor. It is due for release on May 5 - which is now less than forty-eight hours away.

I've got a story too, one that I've attempted to condense into ten songs. I wonder if my listeners will be able to hear the elusive bits of my heart poured into each note: the subtle shifts when powerful emotions hindered an otherwise-flawless take; the allegories and the metaphors in lyrics scribbled on the back of a Harbor Freight receipt; the piano progression that took me weeks to perfect.

I wonder how many are aware of the number of times I was filled with doubt, questioning not only the journey itself, but what would come of it. There I was, never having been homeless myself, never having pitched a tent, never having slept outdoors, suddenly drawn into a world I knew nothing about and a calling I didn't think I was equipped to handle. I felt so strongly that providence had led me there, yet there were many moments I tried to walk away, returning to the life I knew before the people of Tent City left their footprints on my heart. At times I didn't have much recourse but to just strap myself in and take the ride. But with each song I wrote, another doubt disappeared.

My listeners may never know the full breadth of my experience, but whenever those songs are played, I hope they are able move people in spirit and to action.

I hope they will inspire their audience just as the people and spirit of Tent City inspired me.

I hope I sell so many copies that I'm able to single-handedly finance an intentional community for the homeless where people need not fear harassment, demolition, or eviction ever again. Hey, I can dream, right?

Yes, I can. And I will. Because as grass can still grow through cracks in the sidewalk, even amid hopelessness and uncertainty, there will always be room for inspiration.

And always, ALWAYS room for dreams.

COMING SOON!!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment