Saturday, November 15, 2014

There Ours Shall Go Singing

Performing at the Thanksgiving Fundraiser
for Kean University's "Be the Change" on
November 14, 2014 at 10th Street Live,
Kennilworth, NJ.
There's a lyric from one of the songs I performed last night ("Hands" by Jewel) that proclaims, "We will fight, not out of of spite / But someone must stand up for what's right / For where there's a man who has no voice, there ours shall go singing."

That is exactly what a bunch of us did last night when we came together to raise our voices (and some funds) for Kean University organization "Be the Change."

Accompanied by guitarist Joe Colucci, I came prepared with four songs: (1) the aforementioned cover of my favorite Jewel tune, (2) "City of Ruins" the Springsteen tune that accompanied a video montage of Tent City in the wake of its closing; (3) "Sugar Sand," my newest original song, and (4) "The Soldier," a song I wrote for a former Tent City resident.

What I didn't come prepared with were songs for an encore, and to my great delight, it turns out I actually needed them.

With both Joe and me drawing a complete blank, I announced to the audience that I was happy to take requests. Norma, who'd invited me to sing at the event, asked me to sing "Angel" by Sarah McLaughlin in honor of our mutual friend Doug. Of course, I gladly obliged.

And at the end of the evening, I joined the golden-voiced Gabrielle Rose for an impromptu rendition of "At Last" and an audience-interactive version of "Lean On Me."

The proceeds from the event will purchase hot Thanksgiving meals for the homeless of Newark and former residents of Lakewood's Tent City.

To all who participated: those who attended and donated, those who organized, and those who lent their talent: I need to personally commend you for your time during a season in which sentiments of home and hearth seem most paramount, and during which we are called to be thankful for all we have and mindful of those who go without. Our little corner of the world is much brighter because of you.

You, friends, are the miracle the world needs. THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment