Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Time to Build...

Blueprint for proposed Tiny Home community
I heard "Turn! Turn! Turn!" on the radio the other day. For those who aren't aware, that song is based on Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, which reminds us that "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." The verse that has branded itself onto my heart as of late is, "a time to break down, and a time to build up."

Because quite frankly, I feel like I've seen enough breaking down. Far more than I would have ever liked to see in the course of my life.

As the Township was in the process of closing Tent City, my friend Jack Ballo took video footage of the demolition of a Tent City resident's home. I was there to witness it. And many more like it. Back in February, a number of vacant tents were torn down and many more marked for demolition. Dale's shanty was knocked down only weeks before Sam's. I saw the chapel dismantled piece by piece. I saw fellow human beings systematically stripped of what few belongings they had and scrambling for answers. Ultimately, the camp was declared closed and the last of the residents - Minister Steve himself - was evicted.

So when the opportunity arose to start building up, I seized it with both hands and my whole heart.

An Ocean County architectural engineer, in partnership with philanthropist Tom O'Malley, was seeking skilled laborers to assist with the construction of a micro-house model called "The Angelo" (named for former Tent City resident Angelo Villanueva, featured in Destiny's Bridge). My uncle, John Lisa, who has extensive construction experience and who has worked with Habitat for Humanity, lent a hand to the project. A few days later, Minister Steve did the same; I got to paint some of the siding and learned how to (ever so tentatively) handle a nail gun. There's still work to be done, but I'm happy to say the little house is about a week from completion. Now, it's just a matter of finding a permanent - or at least semi-permanent - location for it.

In these quiet moments, the past, present, and future weave together with perfect clarity.

I carry in my heart fond memories of Tent City, most of all the sense of family and community I felt there. I recall moments of celebration and times of sorrow that were equally meaningful because they were shared with others. Because despite our differences, we'd always manage to find some sort of common ground.

Today, in my own home, I feel the gentle breeze on this temperate August afternoon through the open window. I relish the warmth of a recent visitor's smile. I listen to my children's voices and neighbors passing time.

I envision new memories being made. I imagine helping a homeless friend move their belongings into their new, tiny house. I see myself decorating doors for the holidays. I picture gatherings in a little community room. I make plans and see opportunities to open minds and change hearts.

All of these put together are what is meant by "home."

And that is where my heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment