Thursday, July 17, 2014

"Closing time, every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end..."

Two days before my forty-first birthday, the page was turned on a major chapter in my life: Tent City of Lakewood, NJ, where I was a volunteer for eight months, was demolished and closed down by the Township. (tentcityvoices.blogspot.com)

I was never a resident of Tent City myself, but its closure had a major impact on me. I've never pitched a tent, slept outdoors, or been camping in my life, but throughout the process, I was grieving as if it was MY home that had been bulldozed. It's been said that "home is where the heart is," and words cannot express just how much I believe it.

What I experienced personally speaks volumes about the reality of homelessness. That home is so much more than just a roof over one's head. It's the sense of having a place to go to where you're accepted and loved for who you are, not judged...the feeling of safety and security amid storms (both the physical and proverbial types)...the people that surround you, who are present to you, and for whom you are present.

I came to that place in the woods one autumn day with a bag of apples, a case of water, and an open heart. Indeed, amid those makeshift shanties, in the spiritual sense, I myself found Home.

And the new journey begins, I will continue to do whatever it takes to build Home for those in need.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,

    If what you say is true - and I believe it is - there are "homeless" people who lived in Tent City who have been more at home than many people who live in mansions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Steven. I am extremely fortunate to have never actually been without a roof over my head. But I'm well aware that, had circumstances of my life (divorce, home foreclosure, battling depression, etc.) been only slightly different, I could just as easily have faced the same fate. I am blessed with a loving family, friends, and support network. I had solid medical care when I needed it. I never had to cope with an addiction. I'm able to work, raise a family, create, AND own my time. That, to me, is the very definition of wealth: my life is not without challenges, but I have everything I need and more.

      That being said...to at least some degree, having known what isolation feels like, experiencing a complete disconnect from other people, and having felt "homeless" in the spiritual sense, I feel like I'm in a unique position to be present to the needy. To be in some sense, a home for them, wherever they live.

      Delete